VACCINATIONS:Below you will find OUR vaccination schedule. Please keep in mind that we are located in Texas, as such, we may not vaccinate for what is appropriate in your area. Please, consult your vet for her/his recommendations for your climate and location.
CHECK YOUR STATES VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS. IN SOME STATES VACCINATIONS MAY BE GIVEN BY OWNERS FOR MANY OF THE VACCINES MENTIONED BELOW. IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME - TELL YOUR VET YOU WOULD LIKE TO DO YOUR OWN VACCINATING. MANY VETS ARE HAPPY TO HELP. VACCINES GIVEN IN THE WRONG DOSAGE AND IN THE WRONG LOCATION MAY PRODUCE FATAL RESULTS. DON'T GUESS - ASK YOUR VET IF YOU NEED ADDITIONAL EDUCATION.
ADDITIONAL WARNINGS, IF VACCINATING ANIMALS YOURSELF PLEASE FOLLOW THESE ADDITIONAL SUGGESTIONS:
VACCINE DOSAGE IS THE SAME FOR A MINIATURE AS FOR A FULL SIZE HORSE RABIES, WEST NILE, VEWT, POTOMAC HORSE FEVER, FLU, RHINO)
1. VEWT (Venezuelan, Eastern and Western Encephalomyelitis and tetanus) If this is the first time given, as with a foal, booster will be needed within 4 - 6 weeks
2. RABIES 1 Initial vaccine, booster every two to three years
3. WEST NILE Initial vaccine followed by a booster in approx. 4 weeks. Then booster every 6 MONTHS (Where mosquitoes are present year round)
1. FLU Initial vaccine followed by a booster in approx. 4 weeks
2. WEST NILE VACCINE
3. RHINO - Initial vaccine followed by a booster in approx. 4 weeks DO NOT GIVE RHINO TO BRED MARES. SEE BROODMARES BELOW.
* *BROOD MARES:
GIVE BRED MARES "PNEUMABORT K", INSTEAD OF THE COMBINED FLU/RHINO, YOU WILL NEED TO ORDER PLAIN "FLU" VACCINE FOR THEM. DO NOT GIVE RHINO TO A MARE IN FOAL UNLESS APPROVED BY YOUR VET. THIS MAY CAUSE ABORTION. GIVE "PNEUMABORT K", BY FT. DODGE, AT 5, 7, AND 9 MONTHS GESTATION.
MARES IN FOAL SHOULD GET VEWT BOOSTER 1 MONTH PRIOR TO FOALING TO BOOST IMMUNITIES THAT FOAL WILL RECEIVE FROM MARE
FOALS AND WEANLINGS:
IF YOU HAVE VACCINATED YOUR MARES WITH VEWT PRIOR TO FOALING , THE FOALS WILL HAVE IMMUNITIES WHICH THEY GET FROM THE MOTHERS FIRST MILK, COLOSTRUM. THESE IMMUNITIES WILL LAST UNTIL THE FOALS ARE APPROXIMATELY THREE TO FOUR MONTHS OF AGE.
FOALS MUST HAVE INITIAL VACCINE PLUS A BOOSTER ON ALL VACCINES*, GENERALLY 4 - 6 WEEKS AFTER THE INITIAL VACCINE. VACCINATIONS ARE NEEDED BEGINNING ABOUT 3 - 4 MONTHS OF AGE.
*AFTER THE INITIAL RABIES VACCINE IT IS BOOSTERED EVERY 2 TO 3 YEARS.
In addition to the Fall and Spring vaccines above:
FLU/RHINO EVERY 3 MONTHS (AT LEAST 3 WEEKS BEFORE A SHOW)
POTOMAC HORSE FEVER "PHF" IF TRAVELING TO INFECTED AREAS BOOSTER WITH PHF IF IT HAS BEEN 3 MONTHS
STREP AN INTRANASAL STREP VACCINE IS AVAILABLE THROUGH YOUR VET